Menu Item Alias and Category Alias in 2.5

11 years 6 months ago #6782 by ekal
Hi,

Thanks for the great extension!

We're migrating from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5 and it appears that one of the functionalities has changed between the respective SEF Advance versions.

We have the following alias structure:
1) A root menu item that has an alias as "resources"
2) A root category that has an alias as "resources"
3) An article has an alias "resources"

In the 1.5 site, we could make the "Resources" menu item to be of type Single Article and point to the Resources article.  When going to www.ourdomain.com/resources it would display the menu item, rather than the category.

In the 2.5 site, we do exactly the same as above, however when going to www.ourdomain.com/resources it would display the category instead, rather than the menu item.  This appears to be a bug as priority should be given to the menu item and it's a change in functionality from how SEF Advance functioned in 1.5.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?  Thanks in advance!

By the way, we're using version 1.3.0 on the 2.5 site, which appears to be the latest.

Kind regards,
Nick

The web's best Joomla! SEO resources: Alledia.com
Joomla Training in the USA: JoomlaTraining.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #6783 by Saka
Some things had to change because 2.5 has changed everything in their content structure. It's hard to maintain URL compatibility when Joomla 2.5 itself is nowhere near compatible with 1.5.

In this case it's because Joomla 2.5 has unlimited number of categories so you can get unlimited number of virtual directories in your URLs. Whereas Joomla 1.5 had simple section/category/article/ structure.

So it's much easier for you to handle those particular "incompatibilities" by changing the article/category names and set redirects than me adding new checks and complicated queries that would just add load on your website.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

11 years 6 months ago #6784 by ekal
Thanks Saka!  Why not just give priority to menu items rather than creating new checks and complicated queries?

I'm trying the redirects, but now it looks like when I link to a single article from a menu item, the alias that is used for page is the article alias rather than the menu item alias.

Kind regards,
Nick

11 years 6 months ago #6785 by ekal
Futhermore, if I change the menu item alias to "resources" and leave the article alias as "resources" it still goes to the category.  So I have to change both the article alias and the category alias in order to create a menu item.

Kind regards,
Nick

11 years 6 months ago #6786 by ekal
We figured out a work-around :)  We linked the menu item to the category and put article content in the category description and turned off all options to display the subcategories and articles of the category :)

This achieves what we were looking for.  Thanks Saka!

11 years 6 months ago #6789 by Saka
Great. :)

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch