Cache

12 years 2 months ago #6529 by BillyS
Emir -

I've upgraded to Joomla 1.5, and I'm currently running SEF Advance 2008 (2.4.8).  The site has about 1,250 pages.  I noticed the cache currently contains around 7,200 files, which seems like a lot for a site of this size.  I have the cache expire time set to 12 hours.  This is only about 450KB in size, but I was wondering how the cache is used.  It seems to be creating a new file for each visitor.  I thought these were unique to each page.

I also don't remember this many files being created on my old site, which had more traffic in the past.

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #6530 by Saka
If you use cache in SEF Advance, it creates a cache file for every URL. And it can be a lot, especially if there are different non-sef URLs for the same page (which happens a lot in Joomla).

You don't have to use cache at all. It's mostly for sites with slow databases. Turn it off and see how it behaves on your site.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

12 years 2 months ago #6533 by BillyS
As always, thanks for the quick response.  I was thinking about lowering the time to 3,600, to keep the total number of cached pages down.  I'm wondering if that just causes an additional lookup...  the server / database have no trouble keeping up with the request.

Might it be better just to turn it off completely?

Thanks again for all the support.

Bill

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #6542 by Saka
As said, it depends on your database. In most cases it's quicker to query the database than read a cache file. But if your site receives a lot of traffic you can benefit of cache since it keeps queries down and saves CPU.

Personally I never used SEF Advance cache even on sites that received over 10.000 unique visitors daily. And it worked just fine. But the database was on the same server, not separately.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

12 years 2 months ago #6547 by BillyS
Got it, thanks.

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch