Facebook no longer recognising links to my content pages (SEF Advance 2008)

12 years 5 months ago #6362 by maff23uk
Hi,

A problem has developed with my site which I think is related to SEF Advance but I am having trouble fixing it.

A few weeks ago Facebook stopped accepting links from my site's general com_content pages. When trying to share a link Facebook no longer recognises the page and is unable to pull the meta description data and images...instead it just links to the homepage.

I have investigated a little and discovered that I can still post links from other components (e.g. JomSocial, MyBlog) which have SEF Advance plugins. These all show up as normal.

I have just upgraded to SEF Advance 2008 2.4.6 from 2.4.3 but this has not resolved the issue.

I would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions as this is quite a big issue when I have 1300 Facebook page followers and cannot post links to new articles on my site.

Site is www.ei-resource.org if anyone could take a look.

Thank you,

Matthew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #6363 by Saka
I already answered this via email but for others: this is not SEF Advance issue. Disable SEF in global configurations and try with non-SEF URL, you will get the same result.

It is totally up to Facebook and it's nearly impossible to debug due to the fact they cache the pages and your changes are not reflected to their servers right away.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

12 years 4 months ago #6439 by shelvin_g
I also had a Facebook issue where some components (like Jomsocial) stopped working (yet I changed nothing).

Facebook recently updated to OAuth 2.0 so your current API secret keys are no longer valid. Simply regenerating a new key should sort out the issue.

Take a look at this article: hxxps://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/614

Hope this helps.

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch