Test Installation failed after some configuration

17 years 1 month ago #434 by Clemens_1
Hello!
I have read only best about SEF Advance in Joomlaportal.de and so I had no doubt, to get it right on working on my site. I have no site to try it out safely and so I had to take the risk to install it on my live site www.ideecreativ.de , which is representing my company.

I have uploaded SEF Advance special htaccess and the did installation. Everything nice and easy. I did a quick check and it seemed to work.

Then I tried to get rid of those special signs like umlaute etc. After having changed these, I tried again and SEF Advance began to mix things up. Several times I could not click next / previous within the blog section. On Mouse over on these buttons the browser showed up the optimized URL but when clicked, I was directed to the homepage!

So I cleared the cache of SEF Advance, but without effort. Things got even worse: I am running the YAML-to-Joomla-Template bei HieblMedia together with Extended Menu and I sudenly had no submenue beyond "News" and beyound "Service & Tipps".

Then I uploaded a fresh htaccess via ftp and also did a cleraing of the cache once again in the hope, to get back to a stable basic situation.

Even that did fail. So I have deinstalled all SEF Advance and did replace the htaccess with the original one.
After that, my site kept on having problems, because I saw the Open-SEF generated URLs still there. (BrowserCache? F5 did not do the trick!)

So I requested a backup from my hoster and now my site is online again.

It is well sure, that my server is optimized for Joomla hosting, IonCube encoder has been activated by the hoster himself. Htacces is overwritable etc. etc.

So please, what could have been wrong? I still trust in SEF Advance but I do not want to try it on a live site any more!!!
Every component and modul etc. on my website has been tested on a local server emulation XJ!. But I have no chance, to test SEF Advance on XJ!

If there is no solution, I am sorry, then I will not use SEF Advance, even it may be the best SEF solution ever there.

Clemens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 1 month ago - 17 years 1 month ago #438 by Saka
Please, please, please read the documentation. Read the FAQ!

Replacing characters is very sensitive task and you must be very careful with it. Everything is explained very well in help files and in FAQ so please use it before.

To be read very carefully:
Replace issues: www.sakic.net/support/faq/sef_advance/#18
Itemid issues: www.sakic.net/support/faq/sef_advance/#16

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

17 years 1 month ago #442 by Clemens_1
Hi Emir!
Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused here. And yes, you are right: I should have read your FAQ more intense...

Two questions please, before I try SEF Advance once again this night (when hopefully no visitor of my website will see it):

In order to prevent any difficulties by replacing types, I want to activate the function, which generates shorter links. By this it will use the alias titels of my content for generating URLs. And in these aliases I will not use any special types. Thus replacement will not be necessary, if I furher did not use those types in section Title or category title. Is that right? Do you agree with me?

When the 5 day test period is over, will I have to uninstall SEF Advance just before that, in order to keep my site running or will it automatically deactivate itself and returning automatically to the status of my website in the way it was running before SEF Advance has been installed?

Clemens

17 years 1 month ago #446 by Saka

In order to prevent any difficulties by replacing types, I want to activate the function, which generates shorter links. By this it will use the alias titels of my content for generating URLs. And in these aliases I will not use any special types. Thus replacement will not be necessary, if I furher did not use those types in section Title or category title. Is that right? Do you agree with me?

Correct. Make sure, however that you have title aliases entered for all content items. Otherwise you can end up with an empty URL.

When the 5 day test period is over, will I have to uninstall SEF Advance just before that, in order to keep my site running or will it automatically deactivate itself and returning automatically to the status of my website in the way it was running before SEF Advance has been installed?

You will have to uninstall it before the trial period is over. If you let it expire it will display an error message on the site.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

17 years 1 month ago #449 by Clemens_1
Hi!
I am sorry to say, that my next try in this night did fail also. After uploading the special htaccess and then installing SEF Advance, I switched to "short URL", then saved and then I tried the navigation, watching the URLs.
Result: All URLs were with in long form. But any navigation link, I tried was right throughout the entire website!

I went back to configuration menu and I was astonished to see, that the change from long to short URL had not been saved! Strange. So I switched to short URLs again and also I saved this config.

After this change around half of the URLs had the short format, others had not. Further I got 404s and as on my first try, many links did not lead to the next article within the blog categorie but right back to the home page.

I switched to debug mode and I could see, that often the item-id was missing like...
    [task] => view
    [id] =>
    [Itemid] =>
)
/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=&Itemid=

I tried to empty the cache allthough I had not activated it. No effort. I finished and restarted my Firefox (clearing any browser cache) but also without any effort.

Sorry, but for the next time, I have to give up trying SEF Advance because of some tasks with more urgency here.

Yes, when I see, how many people are lucky with SEF Advance, then I believe, that it has been my mistake again. But I don't see, what I have done wrong!

Best wishes
Clemens

17 years 1 month ago #450 by Saka
It's best to install it on a test site, like www.domain.com/test/ and then send me access to have a look.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch