Possible Feature Request - Improvement to 404s

17 years 4 months ago #29 by BillyS
Emir -

I think your product is great and I've recommended it elsewhere too.  If there was one thing I could add to a wish list it would be a tighter tolerance for non-existent pages.  For example, let's say we have a page such as:

www.foo.tld/Section/Category/Name-of-Article/

And some sloppy webmaster links to this page and accidently adds a space to the link creating:

www.foo.tld/Sec%20tion/Category/Name-of-Article/

SEF Advance will still find the Name-of-Article page and return a 200.  If you run Adsense on your website, Google will find this "new" page and you may be subject to a duplicate content penalty - not good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 years 4 months ago #33 by Saka
Yes but how many webmasters would constantly "happen" to add a space to section names?

SEF Advance is a program that unavoidably adds load to a Joomla webpage. It must make additional queries to locate the article requested. What you suggest would require it to, in addition to article and category names, look in the section names too. That would add load to database for any request only to prevent an accident which happens once in a million.

With this type of applications we need to find balance between features and performance. Trying to cover all possible aspects and angles would lead to an unuseful application at the end.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

17 years 4 months ago #37 by BillyS
I do understand your point, however, this is more than a once in a million chance.

Here is another part of SEF Advance I do not understand - it has to do with WebLinks - which is core to Joomla.

If I link to someone, then remove that link SEF will alway return a 200 found and show a weblink page.  As a matter of fact, anything in the weblinks portion of Joomla will return a 200.

17 years 4 months ago - 17 years 4 months ago #41 by Saka
Just as with any Joomla! site with no SEF Advance installed.
Try for example:
www.joomla.org/component/option,com_webl...iew/catid,26/id,434/
It will return 200 OK.

This is a common Joomla! (false) behavior. SEF Advance, however, corrects some of these errors with content but at the end it can not patch all Joomla! imperfections.

You might want to add this as a bug report so it can be fixed in next versions of Joomla! though.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch