Ajax Register Question - multiple user groups

9 years 4 months ago #7411 by zod
First off I am a long time Ajax Register user but I have never tried to use it in the following way, I read this is the feature list:

"Create multiple registration forms to register users to different groups"

I am currently using version 2.8.2. I have the following need. I want to assign any user that registers on my site to TWO user groups upon registration. The first would be the standard "Registered" group. The second would be a custom group used to control access to a certain part of the site. I want to do it this way because although everyone will have access up-front people who don't follow the rules could be banned from that part of the website. I can then manage blocking people from that page as needed vie removing someone from that custom group.

So I don't want anyone to choose anything on the registration form, I just want all user to be placed in the two groups when they register...seamless and invisible. Can this be done, and do I need a newer version of Ajax Register?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #7412 by Saka
You can only register users in one group, not two. But you can make that group a child of Registered user group so it inherits its rights and adds some new ones. Then to ban user you would uncheck him from that group and check the Registered.

You choose the default registered group in Users settings: Users > User Manager > Options

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

9 years 4 months ago #7413 by zod
I ended up just making a small change to the registration.php file so people are added to the two groups. I did the following:

// Get the default new user group, Registered if not specified.

$system = $params->get('new_usertype', 2);

$this->data->groups[] = $system;

// ADDED BY ME
$this->data->groups[] = 12;
// ME - END

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch