Title or Alias

11 years 11 months ago #6600 by BillyS
I need to think through what would be the best option.  I think I have two options:

I could change all the internal links Like-This-One to be links like-this-one

Or

I could try to get the 2.5 URIs like-this-one to be Like-This-One

I don't have special characters in my URIs.  The most frustrating part is I just upgraded to 1.5 and fixed a load of problems, now I'm faced with another one.

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #6601 by Saka
If you don't have special characters it's probably enough to make SEF Advance covert the URLs to lower case letters (since upper case are not used any more). After that upper case will just lead to lower case equivalents. Will see if I can add this in the next version.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

11 years 10 months ago #6640 by BillyS
I've been doing more thinking (and research) on this topic.  There are several parts to this problem:

1 - incoming links will Look-Like-This (tens of thousands)
2 - links on the site itself will also Look-Like-This (close to ten thousand)
3 - Joomla 2.5 wants to make them look-like-this

Search engines are not fond of 301s and I'm worried that because nearly every link on the site is redirected is going to trip some kind of penalty.

As previously mentioned, I'm not the only one that's going to discover this is a problem, especially when 1.5 goes out of support in September.

11 years 8 months ago #6682 by Aident364
One of the annoying things I found in Joomla! 1.0 was that when you were building your menu, sometimes you just wanted a type of "heading" that didn't actually go anywhere but allowed you to open up some sub-menu items.

11 years 6 months ago #6746 by BillyS
Emir -

It's now September, I'm wondering if you've given any thought to retaining the ability to keep URLs that look /Like-This-One/

I don't think I'm alone with this problem, this is a pretty popular topic (based on views).

Bill

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #6761 by lucapdn
Hi there,

I use SefAdvance from 2007 and for so many years i was always happy for this great product and great support. I bought server license for the first version and for SefAdvance 2008.

I installed today Sef advance 2011 and i'm really surprised when i see that the option Title versus Alias is missing.

Emir, please give us back this option because if not... my online business simply is over...
i can't change thousands and thousands of urls, i would lost my good positions on google, it would be a drama. Without this option, i can't upgrade to joomla 2.5 but i need to update because i need some components that now are running only with 2.5.

If is necessary, i will pay for extra job, but please Emir fix this problem.

Thanks,
Luca

EDIT:
i forgot to write that my problem is that i have so many urls with special characters. if it's impossible to have again urls with special characters in joomla 2.5, an automatic redirect with 301 header could be sufficient for me. please let me know how i can fix the problem.
many thanks

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch