Title or Alias

11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #6583 by BillyS
Emir -

I saw an earlier thread whereby you stated you were going to abandon the option of Title versus Alias in the Joomla 2.5 solution.

We use Title and it looks like alias is just the title using all lower case.  Do you know if that's true?  If we had been using Title, what precautions should we take when switching to Joomla 2.5 (which I plan to do in the fall)?

Thanks in Advance,

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 11 months ago #6586 by Saka
Hello,

Alias strips all punctuation and special characters. So if you have that in your titles the URLs might differ.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

11 years 11 months ago #6588 by BillyS
Any chance of reconsidering your position on Titles or taking that on as a special project?  I have thousands of links that would need to be changed.

11 years 11 months ago #6590 by Saka
I might have a look on that as a custom job. But it's little harder to do in 2.5.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

11 years 11 months ago #6593 by BillyS
The problem are not just redirects, but the links on the site itself.  Please give the options some thought.

I don't think I'm going to be the only one looking for this.  Once 1.5 goes out of support, a lot of webmasters are going to realize this is a problem.

Bill

11 years 11 months ago #6598 by Saka
Would an automatic redirect with 301 header be sufficient? There was a similar thing in 1.5 version (redirect legacy URLs).

It's little harder to create full working URLs with punctuation in 2.5.

Emir Sakic
www.sakic.net

About us

We provide high quality Joomla components created by a co-founder and original core developer of Joomla. For over a decade, our products have been used by more than 20.000 webmasters around the world.

Stay in touch